Thursday, February 6, 2014

Favorite Websites: TuneIn.com

TuneIn Radio

What they have to say.
TuneIn lets you listen to the world’s radio from wherever you are. Whether you love music, sports, news or comedy, TuneIn gives you over 70,000 live radio stations and two million on-demand programs, like podcasts, concerts and interviews. With TuneIn, it is easy to find and discover what you love—from music and news to music festivals and sporting events. Use TuneIn to hear the
world’s radio and be transported to favorite places you’ve been or to where you’ve always wanted to go. 
TuneIn is available for free across 200 different connected platforms, including all smartphones and tablets, smart TVs, consumer electronic devices and connected cars.

What I have to say.
I love this website and the TuneIn Radio mobile app. You can listen to radio stations from all over the world free of charge. It doesn't matter if you just want to listen to your old hometown radio station, check in on your hometown radio station while you are traveling, or listen to a pop radio station in American Samoa, Australia, or Tokyo Japan. Yes I know that radio might seem a bit old fashioned but I actually enjoy radio as long as it is not the homogenized radio so common today. Nothing makes you feel like a part of the community like listening to a small town radio station.

Scorecard

The Rating uses G, PG, PG-13, and R while the other categories use A for the best that I know of,B for good but others might be better,C is average, D below average, and F is just terrible.
  • Rating N/A You can listen to radio stations from around the world so their standards depend on the nation in which they are located. 
  • Quality A The website is easy to navigate and use.
  • Community N/A This kind of website really does not have or needs a community.
  • Depth A  TuneIn has over 70,000 radio stations from all over the world.
  • Overall A This site does everything you expect and does it well, as do the mobile apps. I consider it a must have mobile app as well as a great website.
  •   
My thoughts on TuneIn.

My family used to spend a month each summer in the mountains of North Carolina. At that point in time our lodge could not get TV, which really didn't matter since there was not TV anyway. I got hooked on radio listening to those small town am radio stations. When I was a teenager I used to rock out to WIZD 99 FM while driving to school or to pick up my girlfriend. In college I started to use the local NPR station as my alarm. As a marred man, my wife and I would drive to Texas at Christmas to visit her family, I stayed awake through Mississippi listening to small town radio stations.  TuneIn allows me to travel the world listening to radio stations without spending time or the gas money. So check it out for yourself.

No comments: